Regardless that I have sailed before every member of the crew starts back at the basics and has to complete the following training. Every aspect of the training will help to increase my skill set
- Every crew member, no matter how experienced, goes through the compulsory training.
- Four six-day courses taking place on a rolling basis for greater flexibility Includes sea survival.
- Offshore passages will focus on the skills required to become a proficient offshore racer.
- Safety drills (for example sea survival, using life rafts and man overboard) practiced every day.
- Crew can go on to sit the RYA Yachtmaster exam in a fast track programme when they return from the race.
- Opportunity to take further pre-race prep courses in sail repair, engine maintenance, victualling, photography and filming for the TV series.
Currently I will have to undertake the following training courses:
- 6th – 13th April 2012 – Compulsory Training – 7 days
- tbc – Racing Skills and Offshore Racing – 8.5 days
- tbc – Offshore Fleet Racing – 6.5 days
- tbc – Optional pre-race prep course
Follow my blog to see how I get on on these!